While the College recognizes that physiotherapists are self-directed, motivated adult learners who do continually look to maintain and improve their competence, the importance of ensuring a profession-wide dissemination of new information and understanding of topics is in our best interests as a profession.
In an effort to meet the goal of a wide dissemination of information, CPM Council agreed to making participation in some continuing education mandatory for both the renewal or conversion of licenses for existing registrants, as well as for the licensing of new registrants of the College. The name “College Selected Activity” was chosen to encompass the topics of jurisprudence, ethical decision making, and other topics based on professional and public interest issues. In January 2020, Council passed a motion that required physiotherapists to complete the Manitoba Regulated Health Professions Act (RHPA) jurisprudence module as the College Selected Activity for Active registration in 2021. In 2022 and 2023, the chosen College Selected Activities were the Pause Before You Post: Social Media Awareness learning module and the Health Equity learning module.
The College selected activity for Active registration in 2024 is titled “The Write Stuff”, an educational module on documentation. The module will highlight the standards that physiotherapists must follow for documenting patient records in various environments such as acute care, long-term care, private clinics, and home visits (in home care/mobile care).
This educational module was a collaborative project involving the following regulators and educators:
• The College of Physiotherapists of British Columbia
• The University of British Columbia
• The College of Physiotherapists of Alberta
• The College of Physiotherapists of Manitoba
• The College of Physiotherapists of Ontario
• The College of Physiotherapists of Nova Scotia
This partnership presented as a unique opportunity to share thoughts, standards content, challenges, commonality, and expectations among physiotherapists in many jurisdictions. The module content was subject to a pilot test during its development. Physiotherapists from all the participating jurisdictions were recruited by invitation to view the module and provide feedback on the content. This included physiotherapists from Manitoba who provided feedback, identified issues, and identified strengths of the proposed module. The final module is a culmination of core information coupled with this feedback. Some of the scenarios may or may not resonate with your area of practice, however the module contains comprehensive information of relevance to all physiotherapists.
The completion of this College Selected Activity is a requirement for all physiotherapists renewing their license to practice on the Active Practice Register in 2024 OR converting to the Active Practice Register in 2024. The deadline to complete this module is February 28, 2024.
What do I need to complete this module?
- Access to a computer, tablet or mobile device that has a stable internet connection.
- Access to one of the following web browsers: Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge, Mozilla Firefox or Apple’s Safari. It is not recommended viewing the module on Internet Explorer as this browser is no longer supported.
- Approximately 1 hour, however the module does not need to be completed in one sitting.
- Note: Possible Issues with the Exit Function: If you are not able to use the exit function for the module after you have completed your viewing, please close the module manually.
To complete the activity,
please visit the Professional Development & Committee Portal.
- Ensure your browser is up to date.
- Turn off tracking permissions.
- Disable pop up blockers.
For further details please see the College Selected Activity Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ).